The success of the body is proportional to the effective working of each and every member. (Ephesians 4:16)
There is a place for EVERYONE at The Turning Pointe, no matter what gifts and graces given to them by God. Every person and every Gift is needed if we are to achieve our goal of building up the body of Christ by trusting together and pointing to Jesus. We talk a lot about Spiritual Gifts at The Turning Pointe. In fact, we think Spiritual Gifts are so important that one weekend each year is devoted to helping people discover their own specific spiritual gifts. But, what exactly is a Spiritual Gift?
Spiritual Gifts are defined as graces or abilities given to us by God through the Holy Spirit to be used for building up the body of Christ. The gifts are freely given to us from God; we neither earn nor merit them. No one has all the gifts, but everyone has at least one. There is no hierarchy amount the gifts.
The Bible mentions Spiritual Gifts in several places, most notably in:
- Romans 12: 6-8
- 1 Corinthians 12:4-11 and 28-31 and 1 Corinthians 14:1-5
- Ephesians 4:7-13
- 1 Peter 4:10
- Joel 2:28
- Mark 16: 17-18
There is some debate as to how many Spiritual Gifts are actually listed in the Bible. At The Turning Pointe, we’ve settled on 17: Encouragement, Preaching, Evangelism, Leadership, Wisdom, Shepherding, Faith, Healing, Knowledge, Serving/Helping, Miracles, Discernment, Intercession/Prayer , Compassion, Giving, Teaching and Administration. As Paul states in 1 Corinthians 12, each of these gifts is equally important and necessary.
Here’s an illustration of how we might put our spiritual gifts to work collaboratively for the good of all. Five people are eating at a restaurant and the waitress spills a meal all over the floor.
- The person with the Spiritual Gift of Mercy will clean up the mess.
- The person with the Spiritual Gift of Giving will offer to pay for the spilled meal.
- The person with the Spiritual Gift of Exhortation will concentrate on cheering up the waitress.
- The person with the Spiritual Gift of Administration will delegate and organize the whole cleaning up process to avoid confusion.
- The person with the Spiritual Gift of Teaching will suggest ways of avoiding a recurrence of the problem.
Curious about the gifts? Need more information? Click here for a more detailed explanation.
Want to learn more about Spiritual Gifts? The following websites offer additional information about Spiritual Gifts:
To find out more about your spiritual gifts and how you can use those gifts to further your walk with Christ, contact Catie Blythe, Volunteer Coordinator. firstname.lastname@example.org